Standing Up Front Again

I had been encouraged to teach on some aspect of the taiso. I chose the pivot that occurs in zengo undo. Focusing on the 4 basic principles, practicing making the pivot and feeling the weight transition. We also practiced it with the jo, as the pivot occurs in the 4 and 8 step katas. Then we looked at how that pivot is used in shihonage and spent time working on making that pivot crisp and balanced.

Things I thought about and tried to share; foot position, stance, balance, weight underside, using the hips to generate the movement. I deliberately chose this to teach because I know it is something I want to improve in my own waza (along with everything else).

If you had asked me about being in the position of teaching an aikido class 3 or 4 years ago, it would have been impossible to imagine.

No comments: