First Time Teaching

It came around finally. I had to teach a class. It's a developmental step. I taught ikkyo tenkan, from various attacks, kata-tori, katate-tori, shomenuchi, mensuki, etc. I chose to teach it that way because I thought it would be better for me to focus on one technique. So we started with the more static attacks and worked toward the dynamic. Then at the end, everyone got a turn in a randori where the only response had to be ikkyo tenkan.

It could have been worse, although I found that trying to perform a technique while explaining and discussing it made it harder. However well I can normally perform ikkyo tenkan, I did it so poorly last night that Shihan had to intervene to correct it.

Going back to my earlier post, let's say that it was "just almost barely better than total failure."

No comments: