The Secret Knowledge

When I first walked into the dojo I didn't know anything about aikido. Watching that class, seeing rolls and sutamis, it would have been very easy to just go home and forget all about it. It certainly would have been less painful. But I wanted to to be able to do what I saw that evening and so I came back, signed the waiver, and got out on the mats.

The instructors were so talented, their techniques so graceful and precise, surely they had learned some secrets. Maybe they would teach those secrets to me someday. They did, and without any pain, or even a visit to our dojo, I'm going to share it with you.
Progress comes to those who train and train; reliance on secret techniques will get you nowhere.
--Morihei Ueshiba

That's it. Straight from the Founder of Aikido. The secret is there are no secrets. If you want to learn this, you have to train, study, come to class, sweat, fail, practice, and just keep doing it even when you don't feel like there is any improvement.

No comments: